Thursday, August 23, 2012

A True American Hero - my Dad

Honoring America's Heroes

I've been wanting to get back in the blogging groove for some time now.  I haven't done much in this regard since 2008.  So I think it is a good thing to start - today!  I had several blogs prior to my hiatus, and I think it would now be best to combine them around a general theme - the heroes in my life who I am very proud of.

Mostly - these heroes are my family and revolve around military service in some way.  But from time to time, I'll highlight other heroes to me.  I'll start off with the biggest hero to me - my Dad.  While I won't 'give away the farm' when it comes to personal information, I will say this about him:
  • Born in rural southeast Missouri in a home built by his grandfather that was lacking indoor plumbing while his father was serving in the Army in WWII.  He is the oldest child of nine.
  • First of his siblings to graduate college with a Bachelor of Science degree in Secondary Education from Southeast Missouri State University.
  • Enlisted in the United States Navy in 1967, leaving behind a promising teaching position to do so.  He is a veteran of the Cold War operations.
  • Married to the same woman for over 43 years!
  • Father of 7 children - 6 of them males.
  • Grandfather of 13 children.
  • Ardent family historian since the 60's.
  • Served consecutively as an active volunteer in his church congregation since 1968.
  • Acted as a Boy Scout volunteer in various positions over four decades, doing his part as a parent to guide all six of his sons to the rank of Eagle Scout (only 4% of boys who join the Boy Scouts earn the rank of Eagle, so 100% is very impressive!).
  • Always supported his family in every way, even when facing downturns in the economy that caused temporary breaks in employment.  I remember him on a few occasions working 2 jobs at once to make ends meet for his family.  If the world shared his work ethic, there would be an immensely greater evidence of prosperity, joy and personal satisfaction had by all.
Well, I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea.  Anyone who meets this description is the model American citizen in my opinion.  He is not perfect (who is?!) but he is a man one can proudly work to emulate.  To me, he embodies all that each of us as citizens of our respective States and, as such, this great Nation, should strive for.  Of course, I love and respect him on many levels.  Without further fanfare - here is the face of the greatest American to me - my father.

My Dad (second from the left) with his parents and six of his siblings in the 1950's.


 My Dad and Mom at a dance shortly after their marriage in October 1969.


My Dad with his new 1967 Chevrolet Impala convertible just before he went away to Navy service.  This was taken in western Illinois during the summer of 1967.


My Dad, Mom and older brother when he re-deployed from a Navy tour in May 1971


My Dad and his direct family taken in February 1996



My Dad congratulating his fifth son on his achievement of the 
rank of Eagle Scout in February 1998


My Dad and Mom in the July 2001

Well, these pictures tell a lot of the story, but there is so much more that could be said.  And one will note my Mom standing right along with him in many of these pictures. But, I will leave the post with my most sincere, heart-felt salute to this great American  - and greatest in my eyes  -  my Dad.  Thank you for being who you are, Dad!

2 comments:

  1. God is Good!I promised God that I would share my testimony on this website. I had all the signs of STD Virus but I was not too sure as to which one. I did a lot of online research and scared myself straight for a whole week before going to see the nurse. She took one look at my genital part and first said that it could just be the anatomy of my body, then she said it looked like genital warts and that I MAY have herpes. I was devastated. She gave me some medicine for the herpes and some cream for the warts. I was also tested for every single STD including herpes. I went home and cried searching the web for all sorts of cures for herpes and awaiting my results. I saw a post whereby Dr. ibhafidon  Blessed cured Herpes and other diseases, I copied his contGod acts out and added him on whats app via +2348152228377. The next day my test result was ready and i confirmed Herpes positive. I told Dr ibhafidon Blessed about my health problems and he assured me of cure. He prepared his herbal medicine and sent it to me. I took it for 14 days (2 weeks). Before the completion of the 14 days in which I completed the dose, the Blisters and Warts that were on my body was cleared. I went back for check-up and I was told I'm free from the virus. Dr. ibhafidon Blessed cures all types of diseases and viruses with the help of his herbal medicine. You can reach Dr. ibhafidon Blessed via his email address on ( dribhafidon96@gmail. com ) or call him on +2348152228377 and whats app him on same number for more info mail me directly on.dribhafidon96@gmail. com .. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happiness is all i see now big thanks to Dr. Ubarlo from West Africa (NIGERIA), I never thought that I will live on earth before the year runs out. I have been suffering from a deadly disease herpes Virus for the past 2 years now; I had spent a lot of money going from one place to another, hospitals have been my home every day. Constant checks have been my hobby not until this blessed day, I was searching through the Internet, I saw a testimony on how Dr. Ubarlo. from West Africa (NIGERIA) helped someone in curing his herpes Virus . quickly I copied his Whatsapp Contact: +2348119508814 just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did,he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal medication, I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just contact him by Email: at drubarlohome@gmail.com whatsapp him on +2348119508814 HIS HAVE THE CURE TO THIS FOLLOWING DEADLY DISEASE [1] Ischemic heart disease [2] Cerebrovascular disease [3] Lower respiratory infections [4] Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease [5] Diarrhea diseases [6] Trachea, bronchus, lung cancers [7] Tuberculosis [8] Diabetes mellifluous [9] Hypertension heart disease [10] HIV/AIDS

    ReplyDelete